Friday, April 15, 2011

X-Ray Questions



Idolatry sometimes seems like the sin that is most removed from our post-modern reality, yet it is at the top of the list in the Decalogue. We pay so little attention to idolatry because it is least visible to us. Idol's hide in the dark recesses of our hearts, and our divided nature feeds and nurtures them.

David Powlison, in his book, Seeing with New Eyes, talks about "X-Ray Questions" that help to uncover the idols that each of us has hiding within our hearts. He identifies 35 questions that can be focussed into your own heart to expose your idols. The Resurgence has a tidy distillation of them based on a blog by Jared Wilson.

Take a few moments, after prayerfully asking God for His help, to apply these questions to your heart. You will be amazed at what you find!

1. What do I worry about most?

2. What, if I failed or lost it, would cause me to feel that I did not even want to live?

3. What do I use to comfort myself when things go bad or get difficult?

4. What do I do to cope? What are my release valves? What do I do to feel better?

5. What preoccupies me? What do I daydream about?

6. What makes me feel worthy? Of what am I proudest? For what do I want to be known?

7. What do I lead with in conversations?

8. Early on what do I want to make sure that people know about me?

9. What prayer, unanswered, would make me seriously think about turning away from God?

10. What do I really want and expect out of life? What would really make me happy?

11. What is my hope for the future?